Thursday, April 3, 2008

Sleepy time blues

I am taking the opportunity to vent on this post. I am at the moment trying to get Hannah down for a nap. Bedtime and naptime has been a constant struggle for us with Hannah from day one. I have tried everything. Today it seems to be her goal to prove to me that all these different methods do not work. I first put her in her bed and nicely told her its nap time and when she wakes up she can play her computer game. I read her a story, gave her a binky, kissed her and told her I loved her. She got out of bed, so I laid down with her and let her choose a doll and I sang her some songs. Still, when I left she got out of bed. So, I remember that my sister Jackie said to use logic with her. So I told her if she got out of her bed I would take her binky from her and she would have to sleep without it. She then came out of her room to where I was and I said, "I hope that isn't Hannah because if it is I will take away her binky." She then started laughing hysterically because she had hidden her binky somewhere in her room before coming to me. So, I decide to try the super nanny method of sitting in her room without looking at her and everytime she gets off the bed I am to go put her back on. Well this quickly turned into a game to her. She would get off and as soon as I'd get up to put her back she'd laugh hysterically again and race back to her bed. We did this a few times too many when I gave up and instead of getting angry started to tickle her to death. I guess she just isn't tired for a nap. I should know my daughter by now, if she isn't showing signs of tiredness there is no getting her to sleep! But now the rest of the day I have to make sure she doesn't fall asleep for a late nap if I want to go to bed at a decent hour tonight. She is such a little stinker!

3 comments:

Amber said...

We will have to come see you when your settled into your new house.
Also my girlfriend told me about this book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" when Gavin was a baby. I love it and both Gavin and now Grant are good sleepers. Give it a try.

Dee said...

Jack is so much like Hannah. I didn't care if Jack ever fell asleep. I just told him that if he didn't feel tired, to read a book in his bed. He still had to have "quiet time". I wouldn't let him come out of his room. If he did, it was straight to time out.

Chad asked me when you close on your house. I told him that actually it says on your blog. When I opened it he cracked up at your countdown thing. He said he didn't realize it would be so specific!

Jennifer said...

lol I know it counts down to the second. It is only accurate to the day not the time.