Monday, April 25, 2011

The Phoebe Bird

We met the phoebe birds last year when they built a nest under the eave of our house. We watched as they flew back and forth bringing their supplies getting ready for their babies. Every day we listened hoping to hear the sweet sounds of the baby phoebes. Finally, they hatched and we could hear them! Then we watched as mom and dad flew back and forth to bring the babies their food. This year our phoebe birds returned! This time we paid more attention and got to see the babies and even got this picture of them. We noticed that when we came around to look at them ever so quietly and carefully, that the mom or dad (I'm not sure which) would make an alarm sounding chirp and the babies would be so still that they looked fake. Its really been a fun thing to observe these birdies and I even saw them take flight from the nest! Good thing too, we were planning on painting our house when we saw them building the nest, now Dan can finally do it! Its been fun phoebe birds, hope to see you next spring!

They'll Come Again
Author Unknown

They'll come again to the apple tree,
Robin and all the rest;
When the orchard branches are fair to see
In the snow of the blossoms dressed,
And the prettiest thing in the world will be
The building of the nest.

2 comments:

Katie said...

That is so cool! What a great way to enjoy nature right in your own yard! We once found 2 baby birds that had fallen out of their nest onto the sidewalk. I couldn't find the nest, so I took them inside and called animal control...I really hope their were cared for and released. I wish I could have kept up with them.

Dee said...

So sweet! I love it. Really neat for the girls to see.